Beneath each of the following sentences, there are four choices marked [A], [B], [C] and [D]. Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET by blackening the corresponding letter in the brackets. (5 points)
1. Do you enjoy listening to records? I find records are often ________, or better than an actual performance.
[A] as good as
[B] as good
[D] good as
2. My pain ________ apparent the moment I walked into the room, for the first man I met asked sympathetically: “Are you feeling all right?”
[A] must be
[C] must have been（C）
[D] had to be
3. The senior librarian at the circulation desk promised to get the book for me ________ she could remember who last borrowed it.
[A] ever since
[B] much as
[C] even though（D）
[D] if only
4. Observations were made ________ the children at the beginning and at the end of pre-school and first grade.
5. The article opens and closes with descriptions of two news reports, each ________ one major point in contrast with the other.
[C] is to make（D）
6. A safety analysis ________ the target as a potential danger. Unfortunately, it was never done.
[A] would identify
[B] will identify
[C] would have identified（C）
[D] will have identified
7. The number of registered participants in this year’s marathon was half ________.
[A] of last year’s
[B] those of last year’s
[C] of those of last year（D）
[D] that of last year’s
8. For there ________ successful communication, there must be attentiveness and involvement in the discussion itself by all present.
[B] to be
[C] will be（B）
9. There was a very interesting remark in a book by an Englishman that I read recently ________ what he thought was a reason for this American characteristic.
[C] to give（A）
10. No one would have time to read or listen to an account of everything ________ going on in the world.
[A] it is
[B] as is
[C] there is（C）
[D] what is
Each of the following sentences has four underlined parts marked [A], [B], [C], and [D]. Identify the part of the sentence that is incorrect and mark your answer on ANSWER SHEET 1 by blackening the corresponding letter in the brackets with a pencil. (5 points)
11. I’d rather you would go [A] by train, because I can’t bear [B] the idea of your being [C] in an airplane in such [D] bad weather.（[A] went）
12. It’s essential that people be [A] psychological [B] able to resist the impact brought about [C] by the transition form planned [D] economy to market economy.（[B] psychologically）
13. Some bosses dislike to allow [A] people to share [B] their responsibilities; they keep all [C] important matters tightly [D] in their own hands.（[A] allowing）
14. Each cigarette which a person smokes does [A] some [B] harm, and eventually you [C] may get a serious disease from its [D] effect.（[C] he）
15. On the whole [A], ambitious students are much likely [B] to succeed in their studies than are those [C] with [D] little ambition.（[B] are more likely）
16. Despite [A] much research, there are still certain elements in [B] the life cycle of the insect that is [C]not fully understood [D].（[C] are）
17. In 1921 Einstein won the Nobel Prize, and was honored [A] in Germany until the rise [B] of Nazism then [C] he was driven from [D] Germany because he was a Jew.（[C] when）
18. The data received [A] from the two spacecrafts [B] whirling around Mars indicate [C] that there is much evidence that huge thunderstorms are occurring [D] about the equator of the planet.（[B] two spacecraft）
19. Generally speaking, the bird flying across [A] our path is observed, and the one [B] staying on the tree near at hand [C] is passed by without any notice taking [D] of it.（[D] taken）
20. Mercury’s velocity is so much [A] greater than the Earth’s [B] that it completes more than four revolutions around the Sun in the time that [C] takes the Earth to complete one [D].（[C] it）
Beneath each of the following sentences, there are four choices marked [A], [B], [C] and [D]. Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Mark your answer on ANSWER SHEET 1 by blackening the corresponding letter in the brackets with a pencil. (10 points)
21. I was speaking to Ann on the phone when suddenly we were ________.
[A] hung up
[B] hung back
[C] cut down（D）
[D] cut off
22. She wondered if she could have the opportunity to spend ________ here so that she could learn more about the city.
[B] some time
[D] some times
23. Ms. Green has been living in town for only one year, yet she seems to be ________ with everyone who comes to the store.
24. He does not ________ as a teacher of English as his pronunciation is terrible.
25. Dozens of scientific groups all over the world have been ________ the goal of a practical and economic way to use sunlight to split water molecules.
26. The discussion was so prolonged and exhausting that ________ the speakers stopped for refreshments.
[A] at large
[B] at intervals
[C] at ease（B）
[D] at random
27. When travelling, you are advised to take travellers’ checks, which provide a secure ________ to carrying your money in cash.
28. I never trusted him because I always thought of him as such a ________ character.
29. Changing from solid to liquid, water takes in heat from all substances near it, and this ________ produces artificial cold surrounding it.
30. I didn’t say anything like that at all. You are purposely ________ my ideas to prove your point.
31. Language, culture, and personality may be considered ________ of each other in thought, but they are inseparable in fact.
32. Watching me pulling the calf awkwardly to the barn, the Irish milkmaid fought hard to ________ her laughter.
[A] hold back
[B] hold on
[C] hold out（A）
[D] hold up
33. The manager gave one of the salesgirls an accusing look for her ________ attitude toward customers.
34. I ________ with thanks the help of my colleagues in the preparation of this new column.
35. It is strictly ________ that access to confidential documents is denied to all but a few.
36. The pollution question as well as several other issues is going to be discussed when the Congress is in ________ again next spring.
37. Christmas is a Christian holy day usually celebrated on December 25th ________ the birth of Jesus Christ.
[A] in accordance with
[B] in terms of
[C] in favor of（D）
[D] in honor of
38. Since it is too late to change my mind now, I am ________ to carrying out the plan.
39. It was a bold idea to build a power station in the deep valley, but it ________ as well as we had hoped.
[A] came off
[B] went off
[C] brought out（A）
[D] made out
40. To survive in the intense trade competition between countries, we must ________ the qualities and varieties of products we make to the world-market demand.
      下一页