Beneath each of the following sentences, there are four choices marked [A], [B], [C] and [D]. Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Mark your answer on ANSWER SHEET 1 by blackening the corresponding letter in the brackets with a pencil. (5 points)
1. Between 1897 and 1919 at least 29 motion pictures in which artificial beings were portrayed ________.
[A] had produced
[B] have been produced
[C] would have produced（D）
[D] had been produced
2. There ought to be less anxiety over the perceived risk of getting cancer than ________ in the public mind today.
3. The professor can hardly find sufficient grounds ________ his argument in favor of the new theory.
[A] which to base on
[B] on which to base
[C] to base on which（B）
[D] which to be based on
4. ________ can help but be fascinated by the world into which he is taken by the science fiction.
5. How many of us ________, say, a meeting that is irrelevant to us would be interested in the discussion?
[C] to attend（B）
[D] have attended
6. Hydrogen is the fundamental element of the universe ________ it provides he building blocs from which the other elements are produced.
[A] so that
[B] but that
[C] in that（C）
[D] provided that
7. We are taught that a business letter should be written in a formal style ________ in a personal one.
[A] rather than
[B] Other than
[C] better than（A）
[D] less than
8. ________ is generally accepted, economical growth is determined by the smooth development of production.
9. It is believed that today’s pop music can serve as a creative force ________ stimulating the thinking of its listeners.
10. Just as the soil is a part of the earth, ________ the atmosphere.
[A] as it is
[B] the same as
[C] so is（C）
[D] and so is
Each of the following sentences has four underlined parts marked [A], [B], [C], and [D]. Identify the part of the sentence that is incorrect and mark your answer on ANSWER SHEET 1 by blackening the corresponding letter in the brackets with a pencil. (5 points)
11. The conveniences that Americans desire reflecting [A] not so much a leisurely [B] lifestyle as a busy lifestyle in which even minutes of time are [C] too valuable to be wasted [D].（[A] reflect）
12. In debating one must correct the opponent’s [A] facts, deny the relevance of his proof, or deny that [B] what [C] he presents as proof, unless [D] relevant, is sufficient.（[D] if）
13. We are not conscious of [A] the extent of which [B] provides the psychological satisfaction that [C] can make the difference [D] between a full and an empty life.（[B] to which）
14. The Portuguese give [A] a great deal of credit to one man [B] for having promoted [C] sea travel, that man was [D] Prince Henry the navigator, who lived in the 15th century.（[D] being）
15. Accounts of [A] scientific experiments are generally correct for [B] those write about [C] science are careful in checking [D] the accuracy of their reports.（[C] writing about或who write about）
16. whenever we hear of [A] a natural disaster, even [B] in a distant part of the world, we feel sympathy [C] for the people to have affected [D].（[D] affected）
17. It is perhaps not an exaggeration to say [A] that we shall soon be trusting [B] our health, wealth and happiness to elements with whom [C] very names the general public are [D] unfamiliar.（[C] whose）
18. The speaker claimed that no other [A] modern nation devotes so small [B] a portion of its wealth to public assistance and health than [C] the United States does [D].（[C] as）
19. There are those who consider it questionable that these defence-linked [A] research projects will account for [B] an improvement in the standard of living or, alternately, to do much [C] to protect our diminishing [D] resources.（[C] do much）
20. If individuals are awakened [A] each time as [B] they begin a dream phase of sleep, they are likely to become irritable even though [C] their total amount of sleep has been [D] sufficient.（[B] each time）
Beneath each of the following sentences, there are four choices marked [A], [B], [C] and [D]. Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Mark your answer on ANSWER SHEET 1 by blackening the corresponding letter in the brackets with a pencil. (10 points)
21. In that country, guests tend to feel they are not highly ________ if the invitation to a dinner party is extended only three or four days before the party date.
22. [A] ________ of the long report by the budget committed was submitted to the mayor for approval.
23. [A] man has to make ________ for his old age by putting aside enough money to live on when old.
24. The newly-built Science Building seems ________ enough to last a hundred years.
25. It is well-known that the retired workers in our country are ________ free medical care.
[A] entitled to
[B] involved in
[C] associated with（A）
[D] assigned to
26. The farmers were more anxious for rain than the people in the city because they had more at ________.
27. I felt ________ to death because I could make nothing of the chairman’s speech.
28. When the engine would not start, the mechanic inspected all the parts to find what was at ________.
29. Your advice would be ________ valuable to him, who is at present at his wit’s end.
30. He failed to carry out some of the provisions of the contract, and now he has to ________ the consequences.
[A] answer for
[B] run into
[C] abide by（A）
[D] step into
31. The river is already ________ its banks because of excessive rainfall; and the city is threatened with a likely flood.
[A] parallel to
[B] level in
[C] flat on（D）
[D] flush with
32. People ________ that vertical flight transports would carry millions of passengers as do the airliners of today.
33. In spite of the wide range of reading material specially written or ________ for language learning purposes, there is yet no comprehensive systematic programmed for the reading skills.
34. The mother said she would ________ her son washing the dished if he could finish his assignment before supper.
[A] let down
[B] let alone
[C] let off（C）
[D] let out
35. We should always keep in mind that ________ decisions often lead to bitter regrets.
36. John complained to the bookseller that there were several pages ________ in the dictionary.
37. In the past, most foresters have been men, but today, the number of women ________ this field is climbing.
38. The supervisor didn’t have time so far to go into it ________, but he gave us an idea about his plan.
[A] at hand
[B] in turn
[C] in conclusion（D）
[D] at length
39. Their demand for a pay raise has not the slightest ________ of being met.
40. It’s usually the case that people seldom behave in a ________ way when in a furious state.
      下一页