Beneath each of the following sentences, there are four choices marked [A], [B], [C] and [D]. Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Mark your answer on ANSWER SHEET 1 by blackening the corresponding letter in the brackets with a pencil. (5 points)
I have been to the Great Wall three times ________ 1979.
The sentence should read, “I have been to the Great Wall three times since 1979.” Therefore, you should choose [D].
[A] [B] [C] [■]
1. If I were in movie, then it would be about time that I ________ my head in my hands for a cry.
[B] am burying
[D] would bury
2. Good news was sometimes released prematurely, with the British recapture of the port ________ half a day before the defenders actually surrendered.
[A] to announce
[D] was announced
3. According to one belief, if truth is to be known it will make itself apparent, so one ________ wait instead of searching for it.
[A] would rather
[B] had to
[C] cannot but（D）
[D] had best
4. She felt suitably humble just as she ________ when he had first taken a good look at her city self, hair waved and golden, nails red and pointed.
[B] had had
[C] would have and（A）
[D] has had
5. There was no sign that Mr. Jospin, who keeps a firm control on the party despite ________ from leadership of it, would intervene personally.
[A] being resigned
[B] having resigned
[C] going to resign（B）
6. So involved with their computers ________ that leaders at summer computer camps often have to force them to break for sports and games.
[A] became the children
[B] become the children
[C] had the children become（D）
[D] do the children become
7. The individual TV viewer invariably senses that he or she is ________ an anonymous, statistically insignificant part of a huge and diverse audience.
[A] everything except
[B] anything but
[C] no less than（D）
[D] nothing more than
8. One difficulty in translation lies in obtaining a concept match. ________ this is meant that a concept in one language is lost or changed in meaning in translation.
9. Conversation becomes weaker in a society that spends so much time listening and being talked to ________ it has all but lost the will and the skill to speak for itself.
10. Church as we use the word refers to all religious institutions, ________ they Christian, Islamic, Buddhist, Jewish, and so on.
Beneath each of the following sentences, there are four choices marked [A], [B], [C] and [D]. Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Mark your answer on ANSWER SHEET 1 by blackening the corresponding letter in the rackets with a pencil. (10 points)
The lost car of the Lees was found ________ in the woods off the highway.
The sentence should read. “The lost car of the Lees was found abandoned in the woods off the highway.” There fore, you should choose [C].
[A] [B] [■][D]
11. He is too young to be able to ________ between right and wrong.
12. It was no ________ that his car was seen near the bank at the time of the robbery.
13. One of the responsibilities of the Coast Guard is to make sure that all ships ________ follow traffic rules in busy harbors.
14. The Eskimo is perhaps one of the most trusting and considerate of all Indians but seems to be ________ the welfare of his animals.
[A] critical about
[B] indignant at
[C] indifferent to（C）
[D] subject to
15. The chairman of the board ________ on me the unpleasant job of dismissing good workers the firm can no longer afford to employ.
16. It is naive to expect that any society can resolve all the social problems it is faced with ________.
[A] for long
[B] in and out
[C] once for all（C）
[D] by nature
17. Using extremely different decorating schemes in adjoining rooms may result in ________ and lack of unity in style.
18. The Timber rattlesnake is now on the endangered species list, and is extinct in two eastern states in which it once ________.
19. However, growth in the fabricated metals industry was able to ________ some of the decline in the iron and steel industry.
20. Because of its intimacy, radio is usually more than just a medium; it is ________.
21. When any non-human organ is transplanted into a person, the body immediately recognizes it as ________.
22. My favorite radio song is the one I first heard on a thick 1923 Edison disc I ________ at a garage sale.
[A] trifled with
[B] scraped through
[C] stumbled upon（C）
[D] thirsted for
23. Some day software will translate both written and spoken language so well that the need for any common second language could ________.
24. Equipment not ________ official safety standards has all been removed from the workshop.
[A] conforming to
[B] consistent with
[C] predominant over（A）
[D] providing for
25. As an industry, biotechnology stands to ________ electronics in dollar volume and perhaps surpass it in social impact by 2020.
26. The authors of the United States Constitution attempted to establish an effective national government while preserving ________ for the states and liberty for individuals.
27. For three quarters of its span on Earth, life evolved almost ________ as microorganisms.
28. The introduction of gunpowder gradually made the bow and arrow ________, particularly in Western Europe.
29. Whoever formulated the theory of the origin of the universe, it is just ________ and needs proving.
30. The future of this company is ________: many of its talented employees are flowing into more profitable net-based businesses.
[A] at odds
[B] in trouble
[C] in vain（D）
[D] at stake
      下一页